We love this recipe from Dale Pinnock as it’s comforting, delicious and super healthy. Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids, as well as being high in protein, and kidney beans are rich in various minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and fibre – making this a ‘souper’ meal!
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 60 ml Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 grams Coriander, freshy – chopped
- 1 Med Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Lg Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Litre Vegetable stock
- 1 Litre Water
- 180 grams Quinoa, dry
- 75 grams Canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 75 grams Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 85 grams Canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 Lg Red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 / 2 tsp Dried chilli flakes, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Lg Avocado, diced
- 10 grams Coriander, leaves chopped
- 1 Chilli, seeded and sliced
- Lime wedges
- In a large soup pot on low heat, sauté the garlic and cumin in the olive oil for a minute, ensure not to brown the garlic.
- Stir in the lime juice, coriander, diced onion and tomatoes, simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, water and quinoa, mix together.
- Increase the temperature and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for approximately 25 min or until the quinoa is a little tender.
- Add the red capsicum, lentils, kidney beans and corn, continue simmering for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a further 5 to allow flavours to blend. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve topped with diced fresh avocado, chopped coriander, fresh chilli and a a fresh squeeze of lime.
Check out more of Dale Pinnock’s healthy recipes: https://www.themedicinalchef.co.uk/recipes/
Follow Dale on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/themedicinalchef/
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from Dale Pinnock.